Last Updated: January 14, 2022
SUEZ North America Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively, “our”, “us”, “we”, or the “Company”) take your privacy seriously. This Privacy Notice applies to our customers and the users of our website and mobile applications (collectively, “Site”), as well as our products and services (collectively, “Services”).
This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use, share and store information that you provide to us through your interactions with our Site and through the sites of our partners, as well as information collected from third parties to enhance our Site and Services that best serve you.
If you inquire about or apply for a job with the Company through the Site, additional information we may collect include, your educational background, employment history, or compensation.
We may also collect Personal Data when you create or modify an account online, complete any self-service transaction with us online, or otherwise provide us PII in any correspondence. This may include any of your questions, comments or suggestions submitted through our Site or if you fill out an online survey.
You have the right, at any time, to opt out of providing us with your Personal Data by discontinuing your use of our Site.
If you believe any of the Personal Data that we collect or maintain about you is incorrect, please contact us as described in the Contact Us section.
What is a cookie? A cookie is a small data file that is stored, among other places, on your device when you visit a website and can later remember you when you re-visit that website. Cookies are widely used to make websites work or to work more efficiently, as well as to monitor a website’s performance using analytical information.
Cookies set by the Company are called first-party cookies. Cookies set by parties other than Veolia are called third-party cookies. Third-party cookies enable features or functionality provided by third parties in connection with our Site for advertising, interactive content, and analytics. The parties that set these third-party cookies can recognize your device both when it visits the website in question and when it visits certain other websites. Certain cookies can store your information until you terminate the browser session (i.e., session cookies), whereas other cookies can permanently store your preferences for successive visits until you delete it or are deleted periodically by your browser (i.e., persistent cookies).
Additionally, we may use other technologies similar to cookies such as web beacons, which are sometimes called "tracking pixels" or "clear gifs." These are small graphic files that contain unique identifiers, and they allows us to recognize when someone has visited our Site or opened an email that we sent. In many instances, these technologies rely on cookies to function properly, and so declining cookies may impair their functionality.
We use the information we collect directly from you or from third parties to provide, support and personalize our Site and to communicate with you about our Site and Services. We do this for the following reasons:
- to provide and improve our Site’s functionality, including processing, storing and delivering your communications; providing customer service and support, including troubleshooting, or responding to your inquiries over the phone or through email; ensuring back-up of our systems; and improving the security of our Site;
- to evaluate use of the Site for our business purposes and to deliver and improve our Services;
- to personalize your experience, which includes tailoring the content and information made available to you and our support services;
- to display relevant advertising on our Site and third-party websites, and to evaluate the success of our advertising;
- to investigate and respond to alleged fraud or illegal activity;
- to perform research and analysis for our business purposes; and
- if you decide to participate, to administer surveys and opinion polls.
We may share your information internally with our employees, and externally with service providers or advisors for our legitimate business purpose. Access to your information is restricted by default and granted on a need-to-know basis. The following describes how we share information and how we facilitate that sharing.
Internally, we may share your information:
- for our legitimate business purpose, such as managing our relationship with you, for compliance purposes, or system and network security; and
- if requested by our parent company, subsidiaries, joint venture entities or affiliates under appropriate intercompany arrangements, to the extent permitted by applicable law, internal policies and security standards.
Externally, we may share your information:
- if the third parties we contract with to provide utility-related services need access to such personal information, but only (i) to the extent necessary to provide utility-related services and (ii) if they have agreed in writing to certain confidentiality, privacy and security obligations consistent with the terms of this Privacy Notice;
- in the event of a reorganization, merger or sale and in accordance with applicable laws; and
- with professional advisors, including lawyers, auditors, and insurance companies to receive their services.
Other legitimate business purposes for which we share your information may include:
- if we are required by law, such as to comply with a warrant, subpoena or similar legal process;
- if ordered by state utility commissions, or other federal, state or municipal agencies with jurisdiction over us, who are legally entitled to such information; and if we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to (i) protect our rights, your safety or the safety of others, (ii) investigate fraud, unlawful activity or a cybersecurity incident, and (iii) respond to lawful requests by governmental authorities (including national security and law enforcement agencies); and
- if you consent to sharing your personal information for a specific purpose, in which case we will notify you and request consent before doing so.
When you provide us with your email address, we will consider your email as consent for us to communicate with you by email. We will use email periodically to communicate with you about your account, privacy and the Services we provide. You will receive emails from us (or our authorized third-party providers) if you have signed up to receive email notifications of certain news or events, marketing or promotional materials, or if you have requested certain information. If you are a customer with an online account, you may opt out of future mailings by changing your communication preferences at any time through your user account.
Customers cannot opt out of receiving operational emails for non-promotional, utility-related purposes (such as billing, outage, conservation and safety), or privacy-related messages.
Communications E-mail Alerts. If you would like to receive company news alerts from us, we ask for your name and email address in order to send you the news alerts. You may unsubscribe from any of our email communications by emailing the address below.
How to Contact Us. If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, or if you would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, please use the Contact Us form or the address below.
461 From Road, Suite 400
Paramus, NJ 07652
(201) 767 9300
We will retain your Personal Data only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we are processing your Personal Data, unless the law permits or requires us to retain your Personal Data for a longer period. For example, we may need to keep your Personal Data for quality assurance for our Site or to defend future legal claims. We also will retain aggregated information after your account is closed. Information you have shared with others will remain visible after you have closed your account or deleted the information from your own profile or account, and we do not control information or content that others have copied out of our Site. You should note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may continue to reside in our systems for a period of time, and we may maintain copies of this information as part of our business records.
SUEZ North America is headquartered in the United States, but has a parent company with corporate affiliates and operations overseas, including in the Economic European Area (“EEA”). We may transfer your Personal Data to the EEA or other countries where our parent company, corporate affiliates, agents and service providers operate. Data protection laws differ among jurisdictions, and these other jurisdictions may not provide the same level of protection for Personal Data as the United States. By using the Services, or providing us with any information, you consent to the transfer to, and processing, use, sharing and storage of your information, including Personal Data, in other countries as set forth in this Privacy Notice. If we transfer your Personal Data to countries outside of the United States, we will use reasonable measures to protect your information in compliance with this Privacy Notice.
**The European Economic Area currently comprises the Member states of the European Union plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.
If you have questions about this Privacy Notice, please email us at email@example.com.
You may also contact us at:
SUEZ North America Inc.
461 From Road, Suite 400
Paramus, NJ 07652
Attention: Privacy Office