- Provides legal services for SUEZ under the supervision of the Senior Corporate Attorney and the General Counsel to whom he/she directly reports on specific matters and indirectly reports on all other matters. Provides ongoing legal advice and representation in a wide variety of areas involved in the Company’s ongoing operations, including the following: contract review and negotiations, regulatory, real estate, permitting, environmental, water supply and allocation, water quality and corporate transactional matters.
- Drafts, reviews and negotiates a variety of contracts for matters such as the construction of major facilities, provision of various services to SUEZ’ subsidiaries, and wholesale water and wastewater agreements. Negotiates favorable legal terms in contracts, with a goal to protecting the Company’s financial interests. Provides advice to Company personnel regarding rights and responsibilities under contracts and assistance in enforcement of contract rights.
- Monitors select regulations, circulates relevant proposals to various departments for comment, drafts and files comments with the subject agencies where necessary, and informs personnel of relevant rule adoptions. Upon request of Company management, provides advice on the legal implications of proposed and newly enacted legislation.
- Provides legal services to support administrative proceedings relating to environmental matters and water and wastewater permits, including filing comments with environmental and municipal agencies concerning proposed activities by others that may affect the Company’s operations.
- Responds to inquiries from internal management. Contributes to management decision-making by providing research, legal memoranda, counsel and advice on legal matters.
- Keeps the supervising Senior Corporate Attorney informed regarding complex, sensitive and/or material matters and seeks his/her counsel on matters requiring his/her attention.
- Tracks workload and generates reports utilizing the Legal Department’s matter management system.
- Is expected to maintain professional standards and expertise throughout membership in bar associations, review of legal publications and attendance at relevant CLE seminars.
- Represents the company on legal matters, drafts and reviews contracts.
External corporate relations
Admitted to practice law in at least one US jurisdiction
J.D. degree from an accredited US law school
At least 5 years’ legal experience advising on corporate transaction matters
Key skills required
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, sound judgment, precise analytical skills and the ability to work independently.
- Advanced capabilities with Microsoft Word and other Office Suite programs, software applications used in legal work, and strong legal research skills.
- Must be flexible in handling a wide variety of legal work with mindfulness of business objectives and company impact.
Possibilities for personal development
- Sr. Corporate Attorney
- Business Development