Manager, Communications & Community Outreach
- Develops and implements communications, community relations and external stakeholder plans with strong emphasis on local projects and initiatives that align with national and global key themes.
- Acts as chief writer and/or editor for all local communications, including articles, press releases, editorials, technical papers, speeches/presentations and customer communications.
- Accountable for communications performance targets, KPIs and goals established by Corporate Communications and the local business unit.
- Manages local website, social media and digital networks, providing consistently fresh and relevant content.
- Provides communications counsel and direction to local management.
- Assists professionals across the local business with writing and presentation preparation.
- Directs the activities of the local Communications and Community Education Specialist.
- Develops and manages the Communications budget at the local company.
- Other activities as deemed appropriate by Corporate Communications and the local VP/General Manager.
- He/she is intimately familiar with water and/or wastewater operations and the industry, customer communications, employee engagement, media relations, community relations and stakeholder management.
External corporate relations
High School Diploma
Bachelor’s Degree in Strategic Communications or similar field preferred
5+ years’ Communications or Community Relations experience
Key skills required
- Development of comprehensive communications programs that support local, national and global business objectives and initiatives.
- Exceptional writing and speaking skills with the ability to construct compelling stories that promote the company’s objectives, brand and its employees.
- Data analysis skills with the ability to identify trends (particularly customer feedback) and facilitate action plans.
- Strong relationship-building skills with customers, employees, journalists, and other key stakeholders.
- Thorough knowledge of traditional and digital advertising, social media strategy and tactics, and visual and web content.
- Knowledge of communication technologies including web, print, graphics and AV production.
- Demonstrated success in event planning and promotion.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with and engage management and employees of all levels.
- Ability to deliver targeted results to specification at cost and on schedule.
- Good balance of technical/task and people/team leadership skills and orientation.
- Excellent negotiating, networking, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively manage external agencies and vendors.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be available for weekend and evening activities, as needed.
Possibilities for personal development
- Director, Communications
- Director, Government Affairs